2 Devs from Down Under

2 Devs from Down Under header image 1

Episode I - Mark and Kai get started

February 14th, 2011

This was always just meant to be an experiment. It was fun and we liked it (even though we recorded it at 6 a.m. in Mark's timezone) - here you go.

In this episode we're talking about cf.Objective(ANZ) 2010, what's going to happen with cf.Objective(ANZ) 2011, we're covering the big announcement of Adam and Allison passing over the stewardship of ColdFusion to a new team and speak about some other random things: What's Oracle doing to Java and why and why Kai thinks Mercurial lends itself much better to corporate, Windows-based development teams than Git.

Tell us if you like it and how you cope with our weird mishmash of accents - if you like us rambling on about stuff for about an hour every fortnight, we might take it on as a new hobby :)

Please note: 2 dudes from downunder is a "work in progess" - Any good suggestions welcome!

UPDATE: Title is sorted. We're now "2 devs from downunder"!

Listen Now:

• Justin

Nice effort for a first podcast Kai and Mark, it’s really good to see content like this coming from our part of the world :) How about “2 devs from downunder” for a name?

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:55 pm
  • Hemant

My vote is for 2 dudes….

Feb 14, 2011 at 4:28 pm
  • Dave Ferguson

Nice job guys. Welcome to the world of podcasting. As an idea.. since you are in the future for us in the states can you do us a favor. Let us know how the future is so we are not surprised when we get there.

Feb 14, 2011 at 6:21 pm
  • Mike Brunt

Very nice and congratulations to you both.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:08 pm
  • Josh Wines

Good stuff “dudes”! Enjoyed listening to that first Podcast. Great to hear some of your views from each side of the fence on some of those topics. Looking forward to the next one ;-)

Feb 15, 2011 at 1:31 am
  • Phil Haeusler

Great work guys. Thanks for putting in the work on local podcast. Hope to hear more!

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:33 am
  • Jonathon Lucas

Great show guys! Looking forward to the next one!

Feb 19, 2011 at 4:57 am
  • Dennis Clark

Onya mates! Here’s hoping that’s the worst of a long series of podcasts from the two of you ;)

All of the topics covered were excellent, but I was especially interested in the Mercurial discussion.

On the surface Hg does seem a lot like Git with better Windows tooling. With the majority of CF developers using Windows, that difference should be enough for Windows developers new to DVCS to consider trying Hg first.

However if you go deeper, there are some conceptual differences that can trip up Git experts learning Hg, or vice versa.

I’m interested in getting the word out to the CF world about Mercurial and sharing what I’ve learnt, so I may start blogging about it soon. Don’t be surprised if you hear from me when the cf.O(ANZ) Call for Speakers go out!

I have to subtract a half-point from Kai for missing a Down Under reference. Bitbucket (the Hg hosting service Kai mentioned) is now owned by Atlassian, the Australian company that makes JIRA and Confluence.

I have an idea for future shows: give a quick rundown of upcoming CF/Flex/AIR events in the region, especially UG meetings. Perhaps _ONE_ of you will be less likely to forget about his own local CFUG meetings that way ;)

Well that’s enough from me. Keep up the good work!

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:57 am
  • charlie arehart

Hey guys, great to hear of (and to hear) the show.

Cool to hear about your clever solution to enabling internet access during the cf.objective conference. :-)

Thanks especially for the kind regards in your comment about the success of my seminar before the conference. It and the conference were a great time for me. Thanks.

As for the podcast, I’ve added your show to the list of them that I keep on the CF411 site (http://www.cf411.com/#cfpod).

Looking forward to many more episodes.

PS Hey, can you increase the size of this tiny box? It’s only about 20 chars wide! :-)

Mar 5, 2011 at 8:57 am